The Massachusetts Rehab Commission (MRC) provides financial assistance for driving evaluations, training sessions, and adaptive driving equipment to those who are eligible for vocational rehab services.
Once eligibility is verified, the process runs as follows:
- Apply online and get approval from MRC: MRC Referral Application
- Schedule a driving evaluation with a Driver Rehabilitation Specialist (DRS) or Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist (CDRS) to determine your adaptive equipment needs.
- Train with a DRS or CDRS with adaptive driving equipment.
- Get an equipment prescription. A CDRS must provide this prescription.
- Locate chassis (the vehicle that you want to have modified) and place a down payment.
- MRC produces bid specification based on the chassis and prescription.
- Bids are solicited from suppliers.
- Bids are submitted to MRC.
- The bid is chosen (you have the right to choose your supplier and pay the difference if they are not the low cost supplier).
- Bid award letter is sent to the winning supplier.
- Supplier orders adaptive driving equipment.
- Equipment is installed and the client is fitted.
- MRC inspects the final installation with the client at the supplier’s place of business.
- The adapted vehicle is delivered.